Sunday, September 14, 2008

Selby Trucking


I know this is a thing of the past now, but I was looking through all of our old pictures and thought it would be fun to share with those of you who were not here. In November of 2004 We bought this truck and begin our own business. We were living in Vegas at the time but we thought we'd attempt to start the business in Reno. There were so many things that happened within a 24 hour period that were trying to tell us not to go but we packed up anyway and made the trip. What should have taken 7 hours took us 22. I'll explain. We left 2 hours later than planned, saw a rain storm rapidly approaching and hoped we out run it. We missed dinner and tried to survive on snacks from the gas station. Ashlee peed her pants because there was no place to stop (the suit case were in the back of Brian's big truck to give us room for the dog in the pickup) and the dog got car sick and threw up in the back seat.When we finally were able to stop in Tonapah to clean them up, we about went into climate shock. It was a whopping 17 degrees outside. Remember Vegas doesn't get much colder than 60 degrees. So in Sweat shirts we tried to find dry close and clean up the dog mess. We got back into the truck with our food and someone drops an entire orange soda on the floor. you may say stuff like this always happens on trips, but it doesn't to us. I couldn't stand to be in the cold any longer so I just threw napkins on the floor. Everything seemed okay for the next two hours but just outside of Fallon, an hour away from Reno, a Tire blew out on the trailer I was pulling with the pickup. When I say blew. I mean blew. No hope for repair and its now midnight. Fallon is not a 24 hour town like the rest of Nevada but we were save by a farmer who happened to race cars and gave us one of his old racing wheels. We went only a mile and the other tire blew. luckily the nice farmer had followed us and promptly brought us another wheel. We decided now at 2:00 a.m. to stay the night at the hotel that was only another mile down the road. We got the proper tires the next morning but before we could even head out, the ice cold wind started. Apparently one of the biggest winter storms was coming ever. We were only half way to Fernly which is only 20 minutes from Fallon and the winds were so strong they began blowing the tarp along with the boxes off our trailer. Brian and I gathered things up the best we could and stopped in fernly to buy about another 30 bungee cords. By now, the snow had started. by the time we drove the next 30 minutes to Reno snow had completely covered the ground 6 inches deep. By the time we got to Brian's parent's it was almost a foot. This picture is what it looked like only six hours later.
It did not stop for three days. Reno was under almost 3 feet of snow that never seem to melt. We even left Brian there in hopes that he would soon be able to start working. after waiting a month for the snow to melt,which never did, he finally came home to Vegas and we decided that maybe we should have taken everything that happened for what they really were. Signs! We were supposed to stay here. Our business was successful for two years. Until the decline in housing. Getting out of the business triggered a lot of other things in our lives, but those are other stories to be told.

3 comments:

Jossie said...

Hey girlie!!! Saw your blog from Cara's. How are you anyway?

Michelle said...

I'm sorry your business didn't work out. It was a handsome truck, though. You can be proud.

And, I have to tell you. There is this guy in town here that sort of looks like Brian. He's younger-- about how old we were the last time we hung out-- and every time I see him I do a double-take. It's weird. He's got the glasses, the baseball cap, sort of the same nose, but a totally different walk. Isn't it strange what makes people unique?

Jami said...

I love all the snow. I'm sure we will be finding out what that is like soon.