This one is about my piano.
When I was about six or seven my parents acquired a used piano from somewhere. It is a huge upright piano that weighs about a million pounds. Someone, not of their right mind, painted over the beautiful mahogany finish with a very drab brown. It was ugly to say the least and I always hated it. I took lessons for about a year and practiced daily on that thing. I might add I practiced with a wooden broom handle in the back of my shirt. My dad insisted on good posture and this kept me sitting straight. I thank him now but hated it then. After that initial year I just taught myself. I do okay but definitely not good enough to play in front of a crowd.
Anyway, about 3 years ago, as I was trying to rediscover myself, it dawned on me that my emotional outlet growing up was the piano. No matter what I felt I played. I called my mom,told her what I was thinking and asked if I could have the beast. She said "it's yours". A week later it was in my garage and I was refinishing it. I spent four days from the time I got up until I dropped into bed in the garage working on it. Keep in mind this was July and I live in Vegas. It was 120 degrees out that entire week. While I was sanding I came across the original brand stamp. This is a Vose and Sons upright grand piano. It was built in 1860.Here are the pictures.
I could not believe the difference. I love my piano now. I spent weeks afterward trying to relearn how to play. It had been about 12 years since I played. Now I'm able to play when the mood arises.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh....I remember you telling me you redid the piano. Holy cow, that is so much work. That is amazing!
Post a Comment