Some of you have asked "So what do you eat"? I decided to post a recipe to show you how I might modify a recipe to fit my diet. This is a new favorite of mine from the quick cooking magazine. I've left all the original ingredients and put what I'd change in parentheses.
Creamy Turkey or Chicken Vegetable Soup
1 cup diced fresh carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 chopped onion
2 tbls. Butter (dairy free)
2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules (gluten free)
1/2 tsp pepper (i use way less or its really peppery)
2 1/2 cups milk (rice milk)
3 tbls. all purpose flour (potato starch or corn starch)
Directions: In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery an onion in butter until tender. Stir in the turkey, water, potatoes, bouillon cubes, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until veggies are tender. stir in 2 cups milk. combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min or until thickened.
I have had to learn to cook all over again but the biggest change is just the eating out and convenience foods. You can find all different kinds of flours to use for cooking that do not have gluten such as; potato, tapioca, bean, and rice. I have also found cheeses made with rice milk, yogurts made with rice or coconut milk, ice cream with rice milk and non dairy sour cream and cream cheese. There are also several pastas that are made with rice flour instead of the wheat. I can still have potato chips (baked) and corn tortillas and chips. I have to mix all of my own seasonings instead of using store bought mixes but that's not hard. I can eat most fruits and veggies, all meats except something processed like lunch meat, and of course I have water! :) Hope this gives you an idea of what its like. It's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was really overwhelmed at first and thought it would be hopeless. I'll admit I was depressed. Thanks for all of your support. its been a challenge to say the least.
1 comment:
One of my friends here just found out her son is a Celiac. It's been a blow to them, too, but now they are exploring all the alternative foods just like you have been. She has found some really good cookbooks that are written for Celiacs and that has helped. You sound like you're coping very well. I'm proud of you!
Post a Comment