Saturday, November 7, 2009

Here's the scoop

Now that I've taken care of all the fun stuff here's the dirt.
I went to GI doctor about all digestion problems and the pain in my gut. Well, it turns out that he believes I do have Celiac even though the blood test did not show positive. Apparently that happens quite a bit. He couldn't do the biopsy that has to been because the hospital wants our $900 copay up front and frankly, I don't have it. He also did some other blood tests on my liver and found that it's not functioning properly. Yeah, you kinda need to have working liver! So now on top of not being able to eat gluten and dairy, I can't eat spicy foods, fatty foods, citrus, or tomato based products. He took 8 more voile's of blood and I go back on the 23rd to find out the results of all the tests. At first, I had a real hard time dealing with it. It was a huge blow. Not something that you go fix by taking a couple of pills and your better. I was really scared at first but I've done some research on different liver diseases and I feel like I have a better idea of what everything might mean. And despite the fact that all the yummy foods are out of the question for me, I've been learning how to use new ingredients. I've managed to find some new recipes and change some of our all time favorites to fit. Over all it's been a great success. Even my most picky eater, Monika, has found things she likes. If you can believe this the words " this is really good" actually came out of her mouth. Maybe this will all turn out for the best. who knows.

No comments: