Tuesday, July 8, 2008

the 4th



For the 4th we went to seastrand park and watched the fireworks. For only the second time in my life I was at the event that was actually setting them off. We got there a couple of hours early so we could get a spot and thought the kids would enjoy the time playing at the park. Ha Ha. Even though we were sitting with two other families and near a couple others they got to talk to and run around with, they still complained about how long it was taking. and instead of "wow that was awesome" when the display was over, we got"that was it?" "only five minutes after waiting 2 hours?" I replied with "gee, thanks mom, that was awesome. I loved the really bright ones. they were so cool." Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone else ever feel like they're failing as a parent?


Here's my boy! no, I wasn't trying to take this crazy picture. He was actually doing something I thought was really cute but I got this instead. Oh well, I guess some people are cute no matter what they do. The red tongue came from the popciles they were handing out at the park.
On Friday, we went swimming at the Williams, who by the way, were out camping. We ended up setting off their newly installed house alarm while trying to get their dogs back into their cage. Yes, the police came and everything. Never a dull moment with the Selbys! from there we went to Truman's. We celebrated our independence by having a big block BBQ with them and several other families we're friends with that live on their street. I think in all, we had about 50 kids. probably not quite that many but it sure felt like it. They all swarmed the three dad's that were setting off fireworks and each one wanted a turn lighting one. It was so much fun getting together with friends we don't get to see that often due to busy schedules. The only thing missing was the Williams who we've spent the past four 4th of July's with. It's amazing how quickly something starts to feel like a tradition.

1 comment:

Jen said...

We missed you guys too. Instead of staying and having fun with you guys, we were in Utah sleeping on the ground, getting dirty, and not taking a shower for 2 1/2 days. What were we thinking?