Saturday, August 1, 2009

To eat or not to eat?

My Dr. put my on a Gluten free, Dairy free diet this week. He's testing me for Celiac Disease. It's helped tremendously but holy cow! I can't eat a darn thing. Everything has gluten in it. Bread, chips, cereal, instant oatmeal, seasoning salt, taco seasoning, pasta,canned soup, vinegar. I even have to watch all condiments. I think I've read more labels in the past week than I've ever read books. Well maybe not that many but close. The worst part is that I can't seem to even use the same pans to cook in. The gluten seems to absorb or "contaminate" as the authorities would put it. I made waffles this morning, made sure their was no gluten or dairy in everything, and I still had problems. Same thing happened last night when using a skillet that we make grilled cheese on. I think I'll go crazy before I get used to all this. Not mention broke. I bought 14 small gluten free, dairy free products last night and it cost me $50. Who can live like this on nonexistent budget. I did borrow a grinder and ground my own rice flour and oat flour so that will help. You know how they say don't ever get to comfortable in what your doing or the Lord will challenge you. Well let me just say I'm a true believer now. I was very confident in my kitchen/menu skills. I had a system, I knew my food, I knew how to buy cheap and I had my kids involved. I was comfortable and didn't have to put too much effort or thought into it. Well that's the end of that. I'm starting over with my food and having to learn about new things and new ideas. At least we're on to something after 13 years of testing though. I had gotten so used to not feeling good I was actually surprised at how good I could actually feel. It will be a long hard road but worth it.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That is a trial. On the up side, the next time I see you, you'll probably be a size 2, and I'll still look like I've had four kids. :) Do you guys have room for a garden? I know it's blazing hot down there, but fresh veggies would be a big help to you with so many off-limits foods, and they, too, can be expensive. I wish you all the best. Thanks again for your email message the other week. I keep re-reading it. I can't tell you how much it means to me.